External view
 
Address: 168 El. Venizelou, Drama, Drama Prefecture
Opening Hours: Daily by appointment
Phone No: (++30) 25210 32362
Fax No.: (++30) 25210 33014
Email: imdramas@otenet.gr
 

 

The Museum of the Cathedral of Drama, founded in 1999, during the reign of the Bishop Dionysius 1st. It is now housed in a recently restored five-storey wing of the Bishop of Drama's palace on Venizelou st. In the spacious and well-attended halls, ecclesiastical treasures of priceless spiritual and artistic value are on show.

The Icons of the Virgin Hodegetria and the Blessed Lord from the 13th century, icons from the 17th century and particularly from the 19th century decorate and sanctify the place.

Moreover, the Episcopal canonicals, holy vessels and their covers, many from the 19th century, relics of Chrysostomos of Drama and Smyrni, make up the most important exhibits in the museum.

The first floor housed folk art images of nineteenth century, Wooden altar doors of temples and churches sections iconostases. The second floor housed , the Episcopal canonicals, holy vessels and their covers. On the third floor of most exhibits are also images of popular art.

Many of the exhibits are relics brought by refugees from Asia Minor and Pontus in 1922 from the churches of their ancient homes to their new home and are valuable reminders of their identities.

Organized groups of pilgrims and visitors to the city are advised to contact the office of the Diocese of Drama before visiting the museum.

Relics of Bishop Chrysostomos of Drama and Smyrni
Relics of Bishop Chrysostomos of Drama and Smyrni
Holy Icons 18th and 19th c
Holy Icons 18th and 19th c
Cross for the blessing of the waters (19th c)
Cross for the blessing of the waters (19th c)


---
© 2000– Macedonian Heritage