Outside View
 
Address: Petrokerassa, Halkidiki prefecture, Macedonia, Greece
Opening Hours: By appointment, daily
Phone No: (++30) 23930 71216/71373
Fax No.: (++30) 23930 71216
 

 

Until 1970, Petrokerassa was one of the most isolated villages in the highlands of Halkidiki. Today it is only 55 km from Thessaloniki and may be reached from the Thessaloniki-Kavala national highway (take the Zagliveri turning at Yerakarou).

Isolation did not prevent the village from being the first in Halkidiki to acquire its own folklore museum, in 1976. The purpose of the museum is to preserve and perpetuate the folk tradition and folk heritage.

The museum has four rooms, in which are displayed 750 objects exclusively from Petrokerassa. The first room has weapons (flintlocks, powder magazines, sabres), a large Byzantine oil jar, and the documents granting the village the privilege of hosting a piece of the True Cross on Palm Sunday every year without fail since 1767. In the second room there is a complete loom with all its accessories, together with a variety of woven textiles produced in the village. The third room has all the traditional costumes from the village, men’s and women’s, contemporary underwear; and all the old ecclesiastical books, codices, and manuscripts relating to the history of the village. In the fourth room, lastly, are displayed the tools of various trades and occupations: tile-making, carpentry, hunting, beekeeping, viniculture, horse-grooming, and, of course, agriculture. Of particular note are a traditional wooden ard or scratch plough and a metal plough.

Apart from the museum itself, it is also worth visiting the beeswax workshop, where the villagers still use the traditional hand-operated device for extracting the honey and the wax.

Agricultural implements
Agricultural implements
A traditional wooden plough
A traditional wooden plough
Traditional Costumes
Traditional Costumes
The traditional beeswax workshop
The traditional beeswax workshop


---
© 2000– Macedonian Heritage