It is housed in a building in the Macedonian style, which dates to 1850-60, was bought in 1912 by the family of Yorgos Voyadzis, and served as the guard-house of the Greek army headquarters, which was housed in the then cathedral. In 1989 it passed into the hands of the Vlach Association and was renovated five years later. In the same year, it opened as a folklore museum.
The museum has four rooms. In two of them are displayed tools, implements, and utensils connected with weaving and milk and cheese production, with descriptions of the processes involved; the other two rooms are laid out just like the traditional houses of the Macedonian Vlachs.
Apart from displaying the folklore collection, the museum is also the venue for the Vlach Associations various other activities.