|Ernest Hebrard (1875-1933), a French architect and town planner, studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. Up to 1914, when he found himself in Thessaloniki in the Archaeological Service of the Army of the Orient on the Eastern Front, he had been involved, among other things, in the upgrading of Casablanca and the restoration of Diocletian's Palace at Spoleto.
In 1917, he became head of the Committee for the New Thessaloniki Town Plan and immediately afterwards was sworn in as professor of Town Planning and Building Design in the newly founded School of Architecture at the National Technical University of Athens. His teaching work there was exceptionally progressive. He was a member of the state's Supreme Technical Council, but unfortunately most of his proposals for town planning in Athens remained unimplemented.
In 1921, he left Greece and devoted himself to the planning of cities in what was then French Indochina. He returned in 1927 to become the main government advisor and director of school buildings at the Ministry of Education.
In 1930 he presented a study for the University of Thessaloniki. Shortly afterwards, having successfully prevented the construction of a courthouse in the Makriyianni district of Athens -- in his view it would have irreparably damaged the sensitive area around the Acropolis -- he returned to Paris where he died.