Mount Pangaion
The mines of Mount Pangaion, the richest source of gold in northern Greece, are reputed to have been discovered by king Kadmos of Thebes, or by the local king Rhesos, who went to Troy with all his weapons "golden and mighty".

The tyrant of Athens Peisistratos, among others, made a fortune in the third quarter of the 6th century BC out of the gold mines he owned in the area. Later, in 357/6 BC, Philip II conquered the region and re-established the city of Philippi in order to acquire control of the gold and silver mines of Mount Pangaion.

With an annual production of about 1000 talents from these gold mines, the 'philippi' (gold coins struck by Philip) took the place of the darics and facilitated Philip's undertakings.