Kavala was liberated and incorporated into the Greek state on 6 June 1913, after seven months of Bulgarian occupation.
The city spread out impressively along the waterfront, where most of the tobacco warehouses were located. Within one century its population had grown tenfold and its economic prosperity was more than evident.
The change in the flow of trade at the end of the 19th century and the isolation of the port of Kavala from the railroad network had not affected the export traffic. The town's modernization and wealth, which soon easily absorbed some 25,000 refugees from Thrace and Asia Minor, was disrupted only by the destruction dealt by the Bulgarian occupations during the First and Second World Wars.