HistoryCivilizationTravellingIn FocusGallery
TravellingModern MacedoniaThessalonikiThessaloniki around 1900

Thessaloniki around 1900

Public buildings of Thessaloniki
Hamidye Boulevard
Greek institutions in Thessaloniki
The business district of Thessaloniki

Images on this page

The Metropolitan church of Agios Grigorios Palamas in Thessaloniki
The Metropolitan church of Agios Grigorios Palamas, designed by the architect E. Ziller, 1890-1893, Thessaloniki.

The 'Greek School' in Thessaloniki
The 'Greek School' in Thessaloniki, which also operated as a 'Domestic Science', 1893, Thessaloniki.

The Greek Consulate in Thessaloniki
The Neoclassical building of the Greek Consulate in Thessaloniki, built by the architect Ernst Ziller, now houses the Museum of the Macedonian Struggle, 1893-1994, Thessaloniki.

PreviousUpNext Greek institutions in Thessaloniki around 1900


The Metropolitan church of Agios Grigorios Palamas in Thessaloniki


The 'Greek School' in Thessaloniki


The Greek Consulate in Thessaloniki

Thanks to donations from Athenian societies and benefactors, the Greek community erected a series of buildings at the turn of the century. Most of them were schools and philanthropic institutions (the Papafeio Orphanage, the Hariseio Hospital, the Hariseio Old People's Home, the Konstantinidis School, etc.).

In addition the Greek community built the big complex at the cathedral of Ayios Grigorios Palamas, which included the metropolitan's residence, the high school, the teachers' college and the Greek consulate.

Thus the Greek community had begun to make its presence felt with more self-confidence; the spare neoclassicism that distinguishes most of these buildings copied the style adopted in free Athens.

See Also
History - Political developments (1870-1913)
Travelling - Public buildings of Thessaloniki
Ottoman public buildings in Thessaloniki


Macedonian Heritage
Content courtesy Ekdotike Athenon S.A.