HistoryCivilizationTravellingIn FocusGallery
TravellingModern MacedoniaThessalonikiThessaloniki around 1900Hamidye Boulevard

Hamidye Boulevard

The district of "Pirgoi" in Thessaloniki

Images on this page

Hamidye Boulevard in Thessaloniki
Early 20th century picture postcard with Hamidye Boulevard in Thessaloniki, 1890-1917, Thessaloniki, G. Megas archive.

Hamidye fountain in Thessaloniki
Black-and-white photograph of the Hamidye fountain at the end of Hamidye Boulevard in Thessaloniki, 1890-1917.

PreviousUpNext Hamidye Boulevard


Hamidye Boulevard in Thessaloniki


Hamidye fountain in Thessaloniki

Hamidye Boulevard (now Ethnikis Amynis) ended at the Fountain, a gift of the Sultan Abdul Hamid II, who had envisaged this long avenue. City residents long remembered the cherry flavored sirop that bubbled from the fountain at the street's inauguration.

The boulevard, also known as the Rue Royale (since almost all the buildings lining it belonged to the Sultan), housed the foreign consulates, luxurious mansions and smart cafes, as well as the renowned Idadie School (now part of Thessaloniki's university).

The Turks called the whole new waterfront area Hamidye, though the Greeks nicknamed it Pirgoi (mansions) or the district of Exohes (the countryside, as it was situated outside the city's walls).

See Also
Travelling - Ottoman public buildings in Thessaloniki
In Focus - Thessaloniki from the 18th to the 20th century


Macedonian Heritage
Content courtesy Ekdotike Athenon S.A.