The chapel of Hosios David in the Old Town of Thessalonike was once the katholikon of the monastery of Christ the Saviour. The attribute "tou Latomou" (of the Quarry), given to the monastery, may be explained by the existence of stone-quarries in the vicinity.
The chapel is an Early Christian cruciform building of the late 5th or early 6th century. The sanctuary apse is decorated with the famous scene of the Vision of Ezekiel with Christ ascending into Heaven on a mandorla above the four rivers of Eden, on the banks of which the prophets Ezekiel and Habakkuk are seated. The young face of Christ is suffused with Divine Love. The symbolic nature and artistic quality of the work cannot fail to move the beholder.
The wall-paintings in the chapel (Nativity, Baptism, and fragments of other subjects) are of outstanding importance and date to around 1160; they belong to the academic style of Komnenian art.