Famous for its tile decoration, the church of Ayios Kirykos and Ioulitta was built in the mid-14th century by bishop Makarios as a convent for men at Beroia.
The stavropegiac and patriarchal character of the monastery was called into question in 1395 by the local metropolitan. We do not know the outcome of the subsequent conflict between the Patriarchate and the metropolis, but it is clear that by some date in the 16th century the monastery had lost its stavropegiac and patriarchal identity.
The church has undergone various repairs in the course of its long history, but retains a section of the original mid-14th century wall decoration and some late 15th century murals, together with others of 1589. The latter are the work of a local painter of no particular merit, who also decorated other churches in Beroia and its vicinity up to the year 1607.