The monastery of Timios Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) is the most important of the monastic settlements ('sketai') in the area around Beroia. A number of remarkable monks - who were canonised afterwards -- were at one time members of its community.
The local saint of Beroia, Antonios (nicknamed "crazy for God"), was a monk there in the late 10th century. So, too, were Athanasios, founder in the 14th century of the monastery of the Metamorphosis (Transfiguration) on the Meteora; Grigorios Palamas at the beginning of the 14th century; and Saint Dionysios of Olympos before the mid-16th century. The skull of Clement, a famous 9th century saint and missionary to the Slavs, used to be preserved at this monastery.
Today, following the destruction of the monastery in 1822 during the Greek revolution, almost nothing is left to indicate the former glory of the 'skete'. Only the chapel of the Transfiguration of Christ with its 18th- century wall-paintings survived the destruction intact.