A monastery dedicated to Ayia Triada (the Holy Trinity) was built above the village of Litohoro on the slopes of Mount Olympos in 1543 by one Dionysios, a holy man and the post-Byzantine saint most beloved of Macedonians. The monastery served as a depository of culture at a time when the Ottoman Empire was at its height and Hellenism in all its forms at low ebb.
It suffered the misfortune of being destroyed in the course of World War II. The monks then took refuge in their dependency, known as the Skala (Landing-place) of Saint Dionysios, where they re--established their community.
Very few volumes of the old and once well-stocked monastic library have survived, and of them some have been placed in the library of the Theological College of Chalki in Istanbul. A notable attempt is now being made to rebuild the old monastery of Saint Dionysios of Olympos.