The prehistoric Cemetery of the Tumuli, situated east of the village of Vergina, covers an area of about 250 acres containing more than 300 small burial mounds or tumuli. It was in use from the early Iron Age (1000-700 BC) until the Hellenistic period (up to the 2nd century BC).
In the prehistoric mounds the dead were buried directly in the earth, in oblong shafts radiating outward from a common center. For the men the funeral offerings were weapons, and for the women rich jewellery and numerous vessels. It is probable that the groups of tumuli belonged to different clans, while each tumulus belonged to a particular family.
Second half of 9th century BC