The School of Philosophy was the first to be opened at the University, in 1925, and remains one of its most important, attracting such scholars as H. Tsoundas, G. Hatzidakis, S. Kyriakidis, Linos Politis and Manolis Andronikos.
The movement in favor of Demotiki, which flourished here, led to the founding of the University's Experimental School by Delmouzos in 1934. Shortly afterwards, the Law School opened, along with the School of Physics and Mathematics.
In 1942, the University's influence was boosted still further, as a counterbalance to Bulgarian activities in the field, with the founding of the Medical School, among others. In the post-war years the University expanded rapidly, also opening the first student hostels in the country. Today it is Greece's largest university with 39 departments and 69,000 students.