The Skete of Saint Panteleimon

Credits

The kyriakon (main church)

The skete of Saint Panteleimon belongs to the Holy Monastery of Koutloumousiou, from which it is almost a half hour’s walk away. It was founded in 1785 by the priest-monk Charalambos, on dry and arid land, at the site of an older Kellion.

Today the skete is a Greek idiorrhythmic, consisting of 23 kalyvae arranged as a settlement. The kalyvae are inhabited by twenty monks who are occupied with farming and the products of handiworks.

The Kyriakon was built in 1790 and is dedicated to Saint Panteleimon. It was partly frescoed in 1868. Next to the Kyriakon there is a three story bell tower, a refectory and an archontariki (guest house).


The kyriakon interior view

A kalyve

Main view

A kalyve

IntroductionHistoryArtArchitectureEnvironmentLegal FrameworkMapVisitingTrekking GuideVirtual Tour

© 2000 – Macedonian Heritage