The Skete of Saint John the Baptist (Greek)

Credits

General view

The Greek skete of Saint John the Baptist belongs to the Holy Monastery of Iveron, an hour’s walk from the monastery to the west. The skete was founded in 1730 by Greek monks.

It is a Greek idiorrhythmic skete consisting of eight kalyvae. All except one, which is inhabited by six monks occupied with the production of incense, lay in ruins. The Kyriakon was built in 1779, it was frescoed in 1799 and is dedicated to the Beheading of John the Baptist. The skete also has a guest house and a refectory.


The church

The kalyva

IntroductionHistoryArtArchitectureEnvironmentLegal FrameworkMapVisitingTrekking GuideVirtual Tour

© 2000 – Macedonian Heritage