The Skete of Annunciation of the Mother of God

Credits

General view

The Greek skete of Annunciation belongs to the Holy Monastery of Xenophontos. It was founded in 1766 by the priest-monk Sylvester and the monks Ephraim and Agapios.

Today there are twenty two kalyvae inhabited by ten Greek monks occupied by farming and the production of incense. It follows the idiorrhythmic way of monastic life. The Kyriakon was built in 1766 and it was frescoed the same time. It is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Mother of God. The skete is the final resting place of the relics of many saints, whereas its library holds 360 manuscript volumes.


The skete

IntroductionHistoryArtArchitectureEnvironmentLegal FrameworkMapVisitingTrekking GuideVirtual Tour

© 2000 – Macedonian Heritage