The Monastery of Koutloumousiou

Credits

Partial view

The Monastery of Koutloumousiou is located on the north-eastern side of Mount Athos, very close to Karyes. The monastery’s existence is confirmed by a document dated in 1169 while the monastery in its current form was founded in the 14th century.

It occupies the sixth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 73 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal).

Its katholikon was built in 1540 and follows the plan of the other Athonite monasteries, in other words, it is rectangular, with a dome and is surrounded by apses. Its templon dates back to the 19th century and is considered to be one of the most magnificent of all the monasteries of Mount Athos.

Aside from the katholikon, the monastery features many chapels. The most impressive is the chapel of the Dread Protection of the Virgin, within the katholikon, to the left of eso-narthex, built in 1733 and houses the thaumaturgical icon of the Virgin with the infant Christ. Other chapels are dedicated to the Saint Natalia, Saints Kosmas and Damian, All Saints, Saint John the Baptist, the Archangels and Saint Spyridon.

Not just opposite of the Katholikon, but a little west, stands the refectory. Between the refectory and the katholikon there is the phiale for the blessing of the waters

Its library contains 662 manuscript codices and 3,500 printed books.

To the monastery of Koutloumousiou belongs the Greek skete of Saint Panteleimon, very close to the monastery.


Cell wings at Koutloumousiou monastery

Phiale for the blessing of the waters

The entrance

The main church (katholikon)

The refectory

IntroductionHistoryArtArchitectureEnvironmentLegal FrameworkMapVisitingTrekking GuideVirtual Tour

© 2000 – Macedonian Heritage