The Monastery of Dochiariou

Credits

General view from the sea

The Monastery of Dochiariou lies on the west side of the promontory and was founded between 1030-1032 by the monk Daniel of Dochiariou. During the period of the War for the Indepedence of Greece (1821-1831) the monastery lost all its property.

It occupies the tenth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 32 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal).

The monastery’s Katholikon was built through the benefaction of John Lapousneanos in 1568. It is dedicated to the Archangels Michael and Gabriel. It is the largest church among the katholika of the monasteries of Mount Athos with its special characteristic being its height. It was decorated in 1568 by the Cretan painter Tzortzis and was later re-painted in 1855. The monastery features ten chapels, one of which houses the thaumaturgical icon of the Virgin Gorgoepekoos (the ready listener), opposite the entrance of Katholikon near the entrance of the refectory. The other chapels are dedicated to the Archangels, the Forty Martyrs, the Annunciation, the Dormition of the Virgin, and the Saint George.

The refectory is built into the west side of the monastery, just opposite the entrance of the Katholikon and it was frescoed in 1700.

Also, the monastery has a fragment of the True Cross, and parts of many saints’ relics. The library has 395 catalogued manuscripts, as well as 46 that have not been classified, and 1,500 printed books.


The fountain

Interior view from above

Katholikon (main church) view from the east

The guest house

Interior view

The bell tower

The fountain

Partial view

The tower

IntroductionHistoryArtArchitectureEnvironmentLegal FrameworkMapVisitingTrekking GuideVirtual Tour

© 2000 – Macedonian Heritage